Tiburon seeks applicants for a slew of expiring terms on local boards
The town of Tiburon is accepting applications through Feb. 10 to serve on the Planning Commission; Design Review Board; Diversity Inclusion Task Force; Heritage and Arts Commission; Parks, Open Space and Trails Commission; Belvedere-Tiburon Library Agency board; Belvedere-Tiburon Joint Recreation Committee; Marin Commission on Aging; and the Building Code Appeals board.
• Planning Commission: On the five-member commission, which reviews and acts on applications for subdivisions, land entitlements and use permits, the four-year term of incumbent Erica Williams will expire Feb. 28; she is eligible for reappointment.
• Design Review Board: There are two four-year appointments expiring on the five-member board, which reviews development and remodeling projects in Tiburon. The terms of incumbents Miles Berger and Fahad Al Dughaish are expiring Feb. 28; both are eligible to apply again. Al Dughaish would win another term automatically if he does so under town rules that allow for automatic reappointment of board members who have served terms of less than two years. He was appointed to fill an interim vacancy on the board in September.
• Diversity Inclusion Task Force: Four citizen seats on the task force are also set to expire Feb. 28; the 10-member body, which also includes all five town councilmembers, aims to address issues of diversity and inclusion within town government, the Police Department and the greater community.
Incumbents Karen Carrera, Anette Harris, Ruben Kalra and Tina Paikeday are all eligible to apply for new two-year terms, with Carrera and Paikeday eligible for automatic reappointment if they do so.
• Heritage and Arts Commission: There will be one four-year appointment expiring on the seven-member commission, which puts on art exhibits and performances and makes recommendations about public art projects to the Town Council. The term of incumbent Victoria Fong expires Feb. 28, and she is eligible for reappointment. That seat is open to residents of both Tiburon and Belvedere.
• Parks, Open Space and Trails Commission: One four-year seat is expiring on the five-member Parks, Open Space and Trails Commission, which makes recommendations to the Planning Commission and Town Council on policy matters. The term of Chuck Hornbrook expires Feb. 28, and he is eligible for reappointment.
• Belvedere-Tiburon Joint Recreation Committee board of directors: There are two seats for Tiburon residents expiring on the nine-member board. The board oversees Belvedere-Tiburon Recreation, also known as The Ranch, which administers recreation programs and facilities for peninsula residents. The four-year terms of Jerry Riessen and Jason Rosell expire Feb. 28, and they are eligible for reappointment.
• Belvedere-Tiburon Library Agency board of trustees: One four-year seat will be up for grabs later this year on the governing board of the Belvedere-Tiburon Library. The board has seven members, three each appointed by the Tiburon and Belvedere city councils and one recommended by the Reed Union School District board of trustees who must be approved by the two councils. Ken Weil’s four-year term as one of the three Tiburon representatives expires June 30; under agency bylaws, he is eligible for reappointment.
• Building Code Appeals Board: Residents can apply for one four-year seat on the five-member board, which meets only as needed to hear appeals of the building official’s decisions. The term of Brian McLeran expires Feb. 28, and he is eligible for reappointment.
• Marin Commission on Aging: One three-year appointment is expiring on the commission, a 23-member group that advocates for the health and safety of older adults. Incumbent Jane Gould’s term expires June 30; she is eligible for automatic reappointment if she decides to reapply.
Those interested in serving should fill out an application form at townoftiburon.org and email it to Town Clerk Lea Dilena at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by 5 p.m. Feb. 10.
Reach Deirdre McCrohan at 415-944-4634.