top of page

Albert “Tim” Harris

Albert “Tim” Harris, a former Belvedere Volunteer Fire Department chief and a longtime member of the Tiburon Fire Protection District board of directors, died July 7 from kidney failure after a period of declining health. He was 86.

Mr. Harris was named to replace Belvedere Chief David Imrie and became the last chief of the Belvedere brigade before the city began contracting with Tiburon Fire Protection District for services in 1980.

After Belvedere formally annexed to the Tiburon fire district in 1983, Mr. Harris joined the Tiburon fire district board and served for 26 years until 2009.

Mr. Harris served as board president in 1995. He was also the board’s representative on the Southern Marin Emergency Medical Paramedic System board and, beginning in 1998, on the Marin Emergency Radio Authority board.

“What you need for a chief is someone who would stand calmly and direct the firefighters,” said Larry Matthews of Belvedere, a former volunteer fireman who was promoted to lieutenant of the fire crew by Mr. Harris. Matthews said Mr. Harris could do that.

Tiburon Fire Chief Richard Pearce said both Tiburon and Belvedere “truly benefited from (Mr. Harris’) commitment and dedication.”

Born in 1932 in Manhattan to Dr. Albert Hall Harris and Josephine Sturges Harris, Mr. Harris grew up in a suburb of Albany, N.Y., and attended The Albany Academy and The Hotchkiss School in Connecticut. He served a tour of duty in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War before returning home to college at Boston University.

After graduation, Mr. Harris and his first wife, Roslyn Carney Harris (later Leydet), moved to California. They settled in Belvedere in the late 1950s. After the couple divorced, Mr. Harris moved to Tiburon.

A stockbroker for almost his entire career, Mr. Harris worked for the firm of L.F. Rothschild and then Morgan Stanley, from which he retired in 2009. He worked in San Francisco’s Financial District and commuted by ferry.

He moved to Carson City, Nev., after retiring.

Mr. Harris was active in his churches, both St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Belvedere and St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Carson City and, at the latter, helped handle the finances.

In his free time, he flew as a licensed pilot and was a car enthusiast. He also enjoyed target shooting at the firing range, sailing and repairing his home and cars. He was a avid fan of the T.V. show “Deadliest Catch,” which his family watched together, said his stepson, Giovanni Love of New York City.

He owned a boat with friend Tom Fleming for many years. They kept the vessel at a slip in San Rafael but frequently attended yacht club events at the San Francisco and Corinthian yacht clubs.

Mr. Harris is survived by his second wife, P.J. Love of Carson City; two daughters, Mary Peck and Holly Harris, both of Bellingham, Wash.; five grandchildren; and three stepchildren, Love, Walter Robb of Austin, Texas, and Rachel Avery of Maine. His brother, Andrew Harris of Manchester, Mass., predeceased Mr. Harris by two days.

Memorial service arrangements are pending. Condolences may be sent to The Harris-Love Family, 131 Canyon Park Court, Carson City, Nev., 89703.

Deirdre McCrohan has reported on Tiburon local government and community issues for more than 30 years. Reach her at 415-944-4634.

Recent stories

Support The Ark’s commitment to high-impact community journalism.

The Ark, twice named the nation's best small community weekly, is dedicated to delivering investigative, accountability journalism with a mission to increase civic engagement and participation by providing the knowledge that can help sculpt the community and change lives. Your support makes this possible.

In addition to subscribing to The Ark for weekly home delivery, please consider making a contribution to support independent local journalism. For more information, contact Publisher & Advertising Director Henriette Corn at or 415-435-1190.​

bottom of page