top of page

Family’s puppy dies after eating poisonous mushroom


A Belvedere family said its 15-week-old puppy died after eating a highly toxic death cap mushroom that has become common in Northern California in recent years. Diane Rice, a Golden Gate Avenue resident, said her young lab, Jackson, struggled for two days in a veterinary hospital trying to recover from poisoning from the mushrooms, known as Amanita phalloides, before dying on June 22.

Read the complete story in this week's Ark. SUBSCRIBE NOW!


14 views
Recent stories

Support The Ark’s commitment to high-impact community journalism.

The Ark, twice named the nation's best small community weekly, is dedicated to delivering investigative, accountability journalism with a mission to increase civic engagement and participation by providing the knowledge that can help sculpt the community and change lives. Your support makes this possible.

In addition to subscribing to The Ark for weekly home delivery, please consider making a contribution to support independent local journalism. For more information, contact Publisher & Advertising Director Henriette Corn at hcorn@thearknewspaper.com or 415-435-1190.​

bottom of page